Child sponsorship is an opportunity to personally connect with a child, family, and community in need. You will journey alongside them as they work on lasting solutions to fight poverty, and help vulnerable children reach their full potential.
When you become a child sponsor, you’ll start to build a relationship with one special child. You can connect with your child by writing letters and emails, sending cards and gifts or visiting him/her. Knowing that someone far away cares about them and their future is a great encouragement to a sponsored child.
World Vision’s decades of experience have proven that the most effective way to help a child is to strengthen the child’s entire community. We do this by pooling your monthly sponsorship contributions with those of other sponsors of a community to provide the assistance that children and families living in poverty need most. World Vision works to develop the following in communities:
- Clean Water & Sanitation
- Health & Nutrition
- Child Protection
Each community that we work with faces different challenges and has different needs, so the work we do is unique to each community. World Vision listens to the people in the community to understand the issues hindering children from reaching their full potential and works with them to address their short-term and long-term needs.
World Vision Malaysia aims to ensure that the highest proportion of its funds gets to those in need. If you would like a breakdown of where World Vision Malaysia’s money goes, please read the ‘Where the funds go’ page and our Annual Review.
All World Vision offices are audited and financial statements are available to child sponsors and donors.
Regular on-site inspections and project evaluations are conducted. Annual progress reports are provided to all child sponsors. World Vision programmes and costs are reviewed carefully to ensure the most effective use of resources and the greatest return to those served.
World Vision has professionally-trained personnel on the ground to strictly implement quality control and financial accountability.
As a child sponsor, you will get:
- A Welcome Kit containing your sponsored child’s photo and personal details, as well as information about his/her community (Based on the preferred mode of communication you choose, you will receive an e-copy within 9 days or a hard copy within 21 days of your child sponsorship commencement).
- Access to the My World Vision portal, where you can view photo and video updates on your child sponsorship and update your personal details.
- An Introductory Letter from your sponsored child (from where he/she lives) within 3 months of your child sponsorship commencement.
- An Annual Progress Report (between September and November) with updates on your child’s progress, accompanied by a current photograph of him/her.*If you started sponsoring your child on or after 30 April this year, you will not receive an Annual Progress Report (APR) of your sponsored child for this year.
- A Yearly Greeting Card (between December and February) from your sponsored child. *If you started sponsoring your child on or after 31 August this year, you will not receive a greeting card from your sponsored child for this year.
- Opportunities to build an enriching friendship with your sponsored child by writing letters, sending small gifts and participating in sponsors' visits (Group/Individual).
- Child Sponsors’ Newsletters with local and international news on World Vision.
- An Annual Review which contains summaries of the work being done in all the projects that we support.
Your contributions to World Vision Malaysia are not tax deductible as our funds are primarily channelled overseas to help children living in the poorest areas of the world. To be eligible for tax exempt status, a high proportion of the funds must benefit Malaysians.
You can cancel at any time, for any reason.
We encourage sponsors to view sponsorship as a long-term partnership, but we understand that people’s circumstances change over time.
If you don’t wish to cancel, but would like to adjust your contributions, we have flexible options to suit your circumstances.
If, however, none of these adjustments work for you and you need to cancel, we will ensure your sponsored child is made available for sponsorship by somebody else.
Please call us at +603-7800 0899 for assistance.
a. Sign up online here. An auto-reply email will be sent to you once the online signup form goes through.
b. Download and complete the Child Sponsorship form, then submit it to us via fax, email or post.
Note: Upon receiving your first contribution, a Welcome Kit will be sent to you. Based on the preferred mode of communication you choose, you will receive an e-copy within 9 days or a hard copy within 21 days of your child sponsorship commencement.
If you have questions that are not answered here, please send us a message. A World Vision representative will respond within 5 working days.